Can Dogs Eat Raisin Bread?

Everyone knows that you shouldn’t give dogs chocolate, because it’s poisonous to them. But not everyone knows about other dangerous foods that can be just as toxic for your four-legged friend.

Raisins and grapes are extremely toxic to dogs. Because of this, you should not feed your dog raisin bread, and should get them veterinary care immediately if they have ingested raisins, grapes, or raisin bread.

This post covers why raisins (and raisin bread) is bad for dogs, and what to do if you suspect your dog has eaten raisin bread.

Note: this post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something, we may earn a commission. Thanks for reading!

Is Raisin Bread Bad for Dogs?

Yes, raisin bread is very bad for dogs. Bread itself isn’t the healthiest thing you can give your pup, but the real issue here is the raisins.

Raisins are extremely toxic for dogs. If ingested, it can cause acute kidney failure and even death.

This means that you should keep raisins, grapes, fruit salad (containing grapes), grape jelly, raisin bread, raisin bagels, and anything else with raisins or grapes away from your dog at all times.

If you bring your dog to a get-together where this food is available, make sure that your friends and family also know about grape and raisin toxicity.

Why Are Raisins Toxic to Dogs?

Scientists aren’t quite sure but they suspect it has to do with canine’s inability to metabolize the flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides that are in grapes. They also suspect that darker raisins are more toxic to dogs than lighter-colored raisins, likely due to lower water content.

But the exact cause and reason for grape toxicity in dogs has not been pinpointed.

The lack of complete scientific study in this area also means that the science of “how toxic are raisins and grapes” isn’t fully known either.

Small dogs are more at risk because of their smaller body weight and size relative to the amount of toxic food. Even a few raisins could do serious damage to a small dog.

Additionally, dogs that already have kidney issues are at a higher risk level if they ingest grapes or raisins, including raisin bread.

dark and light colored raisins, both of which are toxic to dogs
Darker raisins are thought to be more toxic to dogs than lighter-colored raisins

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Raisin Bread

If your dog eats grapes or raisins, they might not show symptoms immediately. Onset of symptoms can happen 12-24 hours later.

Symptoms of grape and raisin poisoning include:

  • Increased drinking or urination (in the beginning stages after eating raisins or grapes)
  • Vomiting or diarrhea within a few hours of ingesting raisins or grapes
  • Weakness
  • Dehydration
  • Not urinating at all (signs of kidneys shutting down)
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Bad breath

If your dog has ingested raisins in raisin bread (or other forms of raisins or grapes), treat it as an emergency. Call your veterinarian immediately and get your dog into the vet.

You can also call these pet poison help lines:

  • Pet Poison Helpline: 855-764-7661
  • ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: at 888-426-4435

It is recommended that you do not induce vomiting on your own unless the poison hotline has instructed you to do so. Instead, you can go to a vet and they will help.

Once you get your dog into the vet, they can induce vomiting or use other methods of absorbing the toxin such as with activated toxin. They may also administer IV fluids, do tests to evaluate kidney function, and keep your dog for a day or two under supervision once the toxins are removed.

It’s always better to be safe than sorry, so please, if you suspect that raisin bread has been ingested, get your dog veterinary treatment right away!

PuppyLists is written by Kat, who has owned, trained, volunteered with, and loved dogs for nearly three decades. When she isn't writing or researching, she's out adventuring with her 15 year old Lab mix.

Leave a Comment