If you’ve “bean” thinking about getting a new puppy, you’ll need to pick out a great name for them. Dog names are often a reflection of their owners, and their interests.
For some of us, coffee is a bit more than an interest (some might call it an addiction). Whatever your level of caffeine craving is, this post has over 82 coffee-inspired dog name ideas. These range from general coffee slang, to obscure coffee terms, to favorite coffeeshops, and more.
Give it a read, there’s a latte of coffee dog names to love! ☕️
Note: this post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something, we may earn a commission. Thanks for reading!
Tips for Picking a Great Dog Name
Your dog is wonderful no matter what you call them, but some names might be easier for them to understand than others. When picking a name, keep these tips in mind:
- Names that are shorter (1-2 syllables) may be easier for your dog to understand. If you pick a longer name, make sure you can shorten it to an understandable nickname.
- Likewise, names with hard consonant sounds will be easier for your pup
- Try not to pick a name that rhymes with key words that you’ll use, for example “Lait” is a great coffee-themed dog name (as in, “cafe au lait”). But, it might cause confusion for your dog because it is pronounced “lay”.
Also, make sure that you’re comfortable with your dog’s name too! If you don’t feel comfortable yelling your dog’s name out the back door, or in a park, it’s probably a sign to choose a different name instead.
Coffee-Inspired Names for Girl and Boy Dogs
Let’s kick this list off with a bunch of general terms, slangs, and well-known coffee terms that work great as dog names for dogs of either gender.
- Beans or Beanie: this one is based on coffee beans but could also qualify as a cute food-themed dog name too.
- Brewer: a more masculine on the word “brew”.
- Briny or Brine: if you’ve got a dog that loves the ocean, you could name them after the (official) term for what happens when coffee has been heated too long and starts to taste salty.
- Buzz: the effects of too much caffeine.
- Cherry: the name for the fruit of a coffee tree. Each cherry contains two coffee beans.
- Coffee: your love of coffee doesn’t get more obvious than naming your dog “Coffee”!
- Cupper or Cuppa: slang for “a cup of”. Think of a pupper named Cupper!
- Dirt: another slang for heavy coffee, and maybe a good name for a dog that loves to dig.
- Fika: a Swedish term for a coffee break.
- Frenchy: short for French Roast.
- Ink: another coffee slang term, and great for a dark-colored dog.
- Jamocha: a term popular in the 1930s, possibly short for “Joe” + “Mocha”.
- Java: a name that doubles as coffee slang and a programming term.
- Jitter: for dogs with a bit too much energy.
- Mud: another coffee slang word that doubles as an appropriate term for a messy pup.
- Nitro: a nod to the new nitro brew coffee options, and a great dog name for pups with lots of speed.
- Peaberry: another technical coffee term referring to a coffee “cherry” that only has one seed instead of the usual two beans.
- Piston: a nod to “piston machine” espresso makers.
- Puck: the name for the puck of coffee that forms in an espresso maker.
- Rocket: short for rocket fuel, a slang term for coffee, and a great name for a dog that never stops zoomin’.
Coffee Flavor Names for Dogs
Some people like to drink their caffeine straight: espresso with no sweeteners. For the rest of us, why not name your sweet pup after your favorite coffee mix-in?
- Almond: both a good flavor on its own, and a nod to almond milk in place of regular dairy.
- Bailey: a different type of mix-in that reminds us of delicious coffee cocktails and winter hot cocoa.
- Biscotti: technically not a mix-in, but always by your coffee cup’s side, just like your dog will be by your side.
- Bourbon: while you think of this as an alcoholic mix-in, Bourbon is also a cultivar name for coffee. This is because this particular cultivar originated on Réunion Island off the coast of Madagascar.
- Brûlée: sweet and special, just like your pup! Brûlée means “burned”, and is also a specialty drink at Starbucks.
- Caramel: classic… who doesn’t love caramel? This would be perfect for a light-brown dog.
- Chai: while not technically a type of coffee, this is a nod to “dirty chai lattes”, which is a chai latte with espresso mixed in. This would be a great name for a light brown dog with dark speckles.
- Chocolate: everyone loves chocolate, and everyone loves dogs. What else is there to say? This would be a great name for a dark brown dog, especially a chocolate lab.
- Cinnamon: another well-loved and sweet name, perfect for a female dog.
- Cocoa: whether it’s in coffee or on its own as hot chocolate, everyone loves cocoa. This is another great option for a dark brown dog.
- Honey: honey is a sweet dog name that gives a nod to coffee, food, and nature all at once.
- Irish: short for Irish Coffee (i.e. a drink consisting of coffee with whiskey mixed in).
- Joe or Joey: slang for coffee, and a cute name for pup.
- Matcha: not technically coffee but it’s another form of caffeine, and a popular cafe item.
- Miel: means “honey”… if you haven’t had a cafe miel, give it a try! This has all the sweet connotations of the name “honey” but is a bit more unique.
- Praline: this is a sugary treat made of amonds, pecans, and/or hazelnuts, and sugar. You might know it in its coffee syrup form.
- Pumpkin: short for pumpkin spice latte, one of the most famous coffee drinks in the world.
- Sugar: what we add to coffee to take the edge off, and a great name for a sweetheart of a dog.
- Vanilla: complex but underrated. Perhaps you know a dog that could be described like this?
Dog Names Based on Coffee Drinks
If you want to get technical, and show off your coffee prowess, then consider these coffee names that are based on barista terminology.
- Affogato: this is ice cream “drowned” in espresso. It could be shortened to Affy or Gato, which would be kind of funny (gato is Spanish for “cat”).
- Americano: a cafe americano is espresso watered down slightly. This would be a good name for a dog with high energy levels.
- Arabica: Arabica is a species of coffee and the most dominant cultivar in the world. You could shorten this to “Bica” or “Bika”.
- Breve: this is a drink made with espresso, and half-and-half or cream instead of milk. This gives it a lovely light brown color.
- Cappuccino: a drink made with equal parts espresso, steamed milk, and milk foam. This could be shortened to “cappi” or “cino”.
- Corretto: a corretto is an Italian drink with espresso and a small amount of liquor.
- Cortado: a drink made with equal parts espresso and warmed milk. The milk takes the edge off of the coffee’s acidity and gives you a balanced, sweet result.
- Demi: demi means “half” and can be found in terms like “demitasse” (half cup).
- Dollop: an adorable name for cream or steamed milk that is dolloped onto a fancy coffee drink. This would be a great name for a small, white dog.
- Doppio: this is a double espresso, for dogs with big zoomies!
- Espresso: the term for strong coffee created by forcing steam through ground coffee beans, and what makes most of the drinks on this list possible.
- Kona: the name for coffee cultivated on the Hualalai and Mauna Loa areas in Hawaii.
- Macchiato: this is a coffee drink with espresso, and a small amount of foamed milk. The name “macchiato” means “marked” or “stained”, and could be a good name for a dog with spots.
- Misto: a cafe misto is similar to a latte, and is made of equal parts coffee and steamed milk.
- Mocha: an espresso drink with chocolate mixed in.
- Red eye: a cup of brewed coffee with more espresso added, and also the name of an overnight flight. While certainly not a common dog name, we all know dogs with energy levels to warrant the name “red eye”.
Coffee Dog Names Inspired by Favorite Coffee Shops
No doubt part of our love for coffee is the atmosphere of our favorite coffee shop!
- Biggby: named after the national coffee chain with inventive coffee drink options.
- Buck: for Starbucks lovers who need a name for a boy dog, or a name that makes their Starbucks addiction slightly less apparent.
- Caribou: as in Caribou Coffee, a national coffee chain.
- Colectivo: a coffee shop and brand out of Milwaukee, WI, that has since spread to Chicago and surrounding cities.
- Dunkin: named after Dunkin Donuts, for all the east coast folks reading this.
- Dutch: after Dutch Bros coffee chain
- Einstein: while Einstein Bros are known for their bagels, many of us associate it with coffee as well.
- Grande: another Starbucks appearance on this list, and a potential music-themed name.
- Horton: for the Canadians reading this, who love Tim Hortons.
- Colombe: after La Colombe Coffee Roasters, based out of Philly.
- Peet: after Peet’s Coffee, for the west coasters.
- Pike: after Pike Place, where Starbucks got their start.
- Pret: Pret means “ready” in French, and is also the name of a grab-and-go cafe chain where people can get food, and, you guessed it, their coffee.
- Star: another variation on Starbucks.
- Starbucks: if you’re in love with Starbucks, might as well go all in on the name!
- Stumptown: after Stumptown Roasters, in Portland, Oregon.
- Venti: this name means “twenty” and is a Starbucks drink size of twenty ounces.
- Verona: one of Starbucks’ coffee brand names.
- Your Favorite Coffee Shop Here! …last but not least, why not name them after your favorite local coffee shop for some hometown pride?
Coffee-Brand Names for Dogs
The pandemic has us away from our favorite coffee shops more than we’d prefer. But that doesn’t keep us from our caffeine: there are plenty of well-loved and well-used coffee brands at home, too.
- Bialetti: after the classic Bialetti Moka Express stovetop coffee pot.
- Bosco: the brand behind many of your favorite coffee flavor mix-ins.
- Breville: a well-known name for at-home espresso machines.
- Chemex: for pour-over lovers
- Clover: a coffee machine brand (recently acquired by Starbucks)
- Folger: the classic, Folgers in your cup.
- Lavazza: a well-known European coffee brand
- Maxwell: a great coffee name for a male dog, and a twist on the popular name “Max”
We hope you found a coffee-inspired dog name worth giving a shot! For more naming options, check out our dog name generator tool.